Thursday, May 14, 2009

Got rhubarb??

Good evening, blog perusers!! I've had a busy week so far.....I worked all day Wednesday & today, & I'm working all day tomorrow. Tonight was a Scout meeting, & tomorrow after school my husband & Matthew are headed to Baraboo for a fun weekend of camping!! This is a yearly camping trip with the Scouts & they always have so much fun. I'll have to post some pictures next week!!

Very little creating the past few days. Well, none, actually. But I do hope to find some time this weekend. I'm hoping to get lots of yard/garden work done, but the nights are MINE. Michael goes to bed at 8:30, so that leaves plenty of craft time!! If I'm not too tired by then. And if I don't get sidetracked by everyone else's blogs.....which is definitely part of my time management problem!!

Anyway......since I didn't post a recipe last week, I'm posting 2 today. My rhubarb is coming in fast & furious, & it's always a challenge to find new ways to use it. One way I use it is by making jam:


RHUBARB STRAWBERRY JAM

5 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups sugar
1 pkg (3 oz) strawberry gelatin

Place rhubarb & sugar in large, covered kettle & let stand overnight in refrigerator so the sugar extracts liquid from the rhubarb. The next morning, boil mixture until rhubarb is tender, about 5 minutes. Do not add any additional water.

Add gelatin & mix well. Let cool slightly, then pour into jars & refrigerate. Makes about 4 cups.




And it wouldn't be my blog if I didn't include some kind of dessert-y goodie!!


OLD FASHIONED RHUBARB PUDDING CAKE

4 cups diced rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk

In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb & 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream shortening & remaining sugar; beat in egg & vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder & salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.

Pour into a greased 9" square baking dish. Pour the rhubarb mixture over the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 9 servings.



Hopefully one or both of these recipes will help you with all that rhubarb you have growing in your garden. It seems to be the one thing I can't kill, lol. There's *always* plenty of rhubarb for everyone!!

Have a great night, & I will be back this weekend with *something* creative!



1 comments:

dolcreations said...

Oh my goodness..what a treat it was to find these recipes. Its funny I was just starting to think jam time is coming! Thank-you so much! I now have to find someone with rhubarb!! I can't wait to see some more of your cards!
Christine

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...