Friday, December 23, 2011

Cap'n Crunch French Toast

Hello all, & Merry almost-Christmas!! I am DONE with everything & feeling quite proud. At the beginning of the week I hadn't finished shopping, I hadn't wrapped one present & had done no baking. Now I'm done shopping, everything is wrapped, baked a few cookies (alas, not as many as I wanted), made many batches of brownies for various potlucks, went out to dinner with some family that was in town, & tonight I had a power session in the kitchen. I made 2 pies, a pumpkin banana bread, a huge batch of Puppy Chow. All this between working, & I gotta tell ya I was NOT feeling 100% this week. Not down & out -- but not quite up to par. I only get one day off for Christmas - Monday. My husband has been off of work since the 15th. He is off for the rest of the year. In his time off so far, he changed our shower head & picked up his prescription. I'm ok with that. Not feeling at ALL like he could have helped out a bit with preparations......nope, not at all.


Anyway, in between baking tonight I made my kids a fun little dinner. I *love* the show Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives on Food Network. In one episode, Guy visited a little diner in Baltimore named Blue Moon Cafe. One of their creations is Cap'n Crunch French Toast. I knew I had to try it -- so I visited my friend Google & found a few variations of the recipe. I am sharing the one I tried -- it was definitely a hit! (I noticed after posting the picture that there is a container of sour cream that squeezed its way into the picture -- makes it look like I used it for this recipe but NO I did not LOL)




Cap'n Crunch French Toast - Blue Moon Cafe

3 eggs
2 1/2 T sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
Cap'n Crunch cereal, crushed
bread (I used Texas Toast)

Beat the eggs & sugar until smooth. Pour in the cream, milk, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg; whisk until smooth. Pour the crushed cereal into a shallow dish. Dip the bread into the egg mixture, then press into the cereal until coated on both sides. Cook on a hot skillet.




I served butter & syrup, but whipped cream & berries would be soooo good -- that's how they served it on the show. Will have to try that next time -- syrup was quicker & I was in a hurry, lol.


We are spending both Christmas Eve & Christmas Day at my mom's -- works for me since I only have to bring dessert! I am looking forward to relaxing & enjoying the holiday after all the hustly bustly trying to get ready for it. I hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas & that you get lots of goodies from Santa. I'm getting a bread machine & I can NOT wait to use it!! I know what I'll be doing December 26th :)


Photobucket

1 comments:

Elise said...

Okay, I just realized we need to be dining at YOUR home for breakfast, lunch and dinner and dessert too! lol! Yummmmmers!

Hugs,
Elise

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...