Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rhubarb!

Lots & lots of rhubarb! A few weeks ago I posted a picture of my rhubarb that was just starting to come up:




We've been super busy the last few weeks, & not home much. We barely had time to eat, much less check the garden (the rest of which is still bare). Here's what I found when I went out last weekend:




Yep, that rhubarb grows FAST lol - you gotta be quick!




So I picked as much as I could carry back to the house with me, because of course I didn't bring anything to carry it IN. 

I quickly looked through my rhubarb recipes & decided to just make some compote. My grandma used to make this & my boys LOVE it. It takes very little time, & I happened to have a whole bunch of strawberries sitting in my freezer. 




You simply cut up all the rhubarb (I tripled the recipe, if you are thinking it looks like a LOT lol)




Add strawberries, sugar, water & lemon peel. 





Cook over medium heat until it boils, then reduce to low heat.





When it's done, add vanilla & VOILA - a yummy side dish that the kids will love! Mine is all gone & I just made it on Saturday. My older son is in track - & when he comes home from practice or meets he is generally not very hungry. This is the perfect something for him to have. It didn't get quite as thick this time around as it usually does, I think because the strawberries were a bit iced. Taking that into consideration, I did use a bit less water but I think I should have used a LOT less water. BUT - it was still good. Did I mention it is GONE?!

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COMPOTE

2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 cups strawberries, halved
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, water & lemon peel into pot. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cook 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is fork tender. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Refrigerate. May or may not last longer than 2 days :)

1 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Ooh yummy yum yum, I lurrrrrve rhubarb! Don't get it very often these days as Toad hates it but I sneak some in every now and then. In fact I treated myself to a Rhubarb Fool for my lunch on Tuesday. It was absolutely delish, the right balance of sharp and sweet. I scoffed it in about 30 seconds, feeling virtuous that I'd managed to get at least a small portion of fruit in, and THEN I read the ingredients. Whipping cream! Eeeeek. But oh sister, was it worth it. Ommm nom nom. You are making me feel hungry all over again, no wonder you have none left. Hugs Sxx

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...